Better, Beautiful Belting!
|Date||Sunday, October 8, 2023|
|Student||£45.00 (enter code STUDENT at checkout)|
Belting still has a bad reputation among many singing teachers. It is dismissed as shouting, ugly and dangerous. These accusations persist despite low incidences of Belting related trauma even while performing the standard eight shows a week. The reality is that Belting continues to be a staple of modern and contemporary musical theatre with no sign of this slowing down. While the identification of Belt accepted by West End Musical Directors is necessarily narrow, there is now an expectation for singers to demonstrate greater individuality and flexibility in their sound. The timbre of Belt is distinct but there is still room for individuality through some variations in brightness, how piercing it is and even volume. It is indeed possible to produce Belting Better and even Beautiful! This workshop is for all singers and teachers who are looking for ways to develop individuality, improve quality and build in reliability and sustainability!
The workshop will include:
- Defining Belt – what it is and how it is made
- Building in safety and efficiency – from the beginning
- Common pitfalls - where singers and teachers trip up!
- Variations – sweeter, warmer, more intense, less intense – time to play!
- Belting in different accents and on ALL vowels – why you don’t need to modify the vowel!
- Contributions from leading industry professionals – West End Musical Directors have their say!
- Practise guidelines – Dos and Don’ts!
- Short masterclass
PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF ESTILL VOICE TRAINING NOT REQUIRED
Anne-Marie presented the first Estill based workshop on Belt 25 years ago and has during the intervening years, successfully developed many innovative teaching strategies to get everyone Belting safely and sustainably. She continues to be sought after vocal coach to many West End shows.